Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jean Cuisine

Fun fact about me:  I LOVE to cook.  Love it, love it, love it.  Trying a new dish in the kitchen is a culinary adventure I always look forward to.  I was at my good friend Pam's house recently for a New Year's celebration and her husband, Tony, made this spicy salsa/relish-type dish with shrimp that was simply divine.  He called it ceviche.  I called it delicious!  So delicious in fact that I ate like three whole bowlfuls of it.  Of course after I scarfed it all down he informed me the proper way to eat it was spread on a tostada, but let me tell you it was just perfect eaten with a spoon right out of the bowl.  So on my next trip to the grocery store I picked up ingredients to make my own version of this tantalizing dish.  (I know it's not really cooking per se, but still.)  It didn't turn out exactly like Tony's, but it's pretty darn close and just as yummy!


How I made it:
About 25 medium size shrimp (or as much as you want), chopped or you can leave them whole
5 roma tomatoes, chopped
3 avocados, cut into bite size pieces
2 Mexican scallions, chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped (I love cilantro and used A LOT of it!)
Juice of 1 lime (make sure to get every drop)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and eat!  Here I added a few chile and lime tortilla strips (yum!).  I had made a pot of white rice for dinner so paired it with that and it was quite good.  Tony's dish had more juice, but I think he may have used a tomato other than roma.  

This dish is now one of my favorites, and I'm adding it to my permanent recipe book.  What are some of your favorite dishes?  I'd love it if you'd share them with me!

Here's to good eats,
~Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment