Wednesday, December 17, 2008
1. "Fab Finds." The title says it all! The site's 'mommy' reviewers search out some of the best deals out there on the hottest fashions, nursery decor and gifts, and electronics, just to name a few. I think it's safe to say that if it's fab, they'll find it!
2. "Recalls." This feature lists recently recalled items due to safety concerns. Contact information for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and, in some instances details on a specific store, are also listed. Check out this page before purchasing that toy your little one's been asking for.
3. "Featured Recipes." As a mom, I'm always on the lookout for new recipes that hold my kids' interest at mealtime. Here you will find everything from quick-fix suppers to decadent desserts to holiday-specific treats. At the time of this post, Easy Mochaccino Cupcakes adorn the home page and were looking so yummy I was almost tempted to lick my monitor. Almost. :)
4. "Reviews." I don't know how they did it, but Mom Fuse found some of the best mommy reviewers around. These incredible ladies review a vast array of products such as books, clothing, toys, and video games. I found the reviews to be helpful and informative....these mommies definitely know what they're talking about!
5. "Just For Kids." This is a really fun feature for the little ones. There's crafts and recipes that will turn any youngster into a budding artist or chef. I even found a great article on this page on organic food choices for baby and toddler from Plum Organics.
6. "Pregnancy." OK, I have no intention of getting pregnant again ever, but if I did, this is one page I'd put at the top of my bookmarked list. Geared toward pampering the mom-to-be, this feature's only writer (as far as I can tell), Nicole Ibarrando, offers up some innovative finds. My favorite: Utterly Yours Pregnancy Pillow. If only I had known about this pillow when I was pregnant!
7. "Beauty." I'm sure any Mom would agree, it's a little hard to feel even remotely beautiful when there's a glob of baby spit-up in your hair or a toddler's chocolate handprint on your cheek. The writers at Mom Fuse found some lovely little products to help keep you looking and feeling beautiful while enduring the messes that go along with having little ones.
I have only touched on the many wonderful features this site has to offer Moms. There's also contests and tips on money and parenting. There's even a spot for mompreneuers to promote their business, and Mom Fuse has advertising opportunities which are an inexpensive way to get your business seen by a vast audience (the site receives 600-1000 visitors per day and averages 6000+ unique visitors per month).
You really need to see for yourself why this is the only site you'll ever need when looking for mom-related resources. I could sing the praises of Mom Fuse all day long for a week straight. Seriously, the site is that good.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
White and Cream Chiffon with Crochet and Lace Shawl
The olive green paisley side of this 80" shawl is 100% silk. The other is a combination of fine cotton with a rayon leaf print insert. Gorgeous 6" silky trim in black. Cecilia says this shawl is "great for redheads and anybody else who loves those warm earthy greens." Measures about 18" wide.
Olive Green and Black Silk/Rayon Shawl
Last, but by no means least, is this stunning shawl featuring an overall red tiny-flowered pattern on front and back in vintage chiffon. This shawl is quite wide. It can be folded in half lengthwise (as can any of Cecilia's shawls) to make a narrow wrap across the back, then drape and let it open out at the hems. Bright red and silky fringe completes this wrap. Cecilia says this shawl is "more fun than elegant."
Red Millefleur Chiffon Shawl with Red Fringe
For more information, including pricing, on these and all of Cecilia's beautifully handcrafted shawls, please visit her online shop at http://silverstuff182.etsy.com.
I would like to extend a special thank you to Cecilia for allowing me to showcase her luxurious shawls.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
First up is Marni, a very talented Midwestern artist who describes herself as a "self-taught mixed-media craftsperson. " Says Marni: "I have always loved creating things, from crafts to cooking. I take inspiration from many places, especially nature, to come up with my creations. I'm lucky enough to have a husband that enjoys the same things I do and supports me in all my endeavors." And JMO feels very lucky to have discovered her! Her designs are eye-catching and functional.
Take these Salt and Pepper Shakers with Purple Glass Gems for instance. Standing approximately 4" tall, they are embellished with violet glass gems, wire, and violet glass beads and would make an elegant addition to any table. They are sturdy enough to be used outside for a picnic or backyard bar-b-que, or inside for that fun dinner party. Marni can also make them in your choice of colors!
And this Stained Glass Planter Charm/Suncatcher with polished Jasper Cabachon is a true work of art! Marni created this unique piece for use in potted flowers, houseplants or small container gardens. It can also hang in a window or from your vehicle's rear view mirror. She took a piece of stained glass, foiled and soldered the edges, and attached decorative wire, glass beads and/or charms. A beautiful polished Jasper Cabachon has also been attached to the glass. Use this piece outside in warmer weather, then during cooler months bring inside to add beauty and charm to the home. The charm is approximately 8” long (including beaded hanger & tassel) and 1 ½” wide. A hand-made wire shepherd’s hook is also available upon request.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Baby Blanket in Sage (wrapped and ready for gift giving)
Prices start at $35 excluding shipping charges. To place a custom blanket order, please send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. I strongly recommend that at least 3 color choices are provided and listed in order of preference. You will receive a reply email within 48 hours. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery from the date your order is placed. Expedited orders will incur additional charges. All orders are shipped neatly folded and wrapped with ribbon. (Ribbon will vary from that shown in the above photo.)
Thanks for visiting, and have a wonderful day!~Jean
*Machine wash warm, delicate cycle, using mild detergent. Lay flat to dry, or tumble dry on low.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Hello, and thanks for stopping by the official blog of Jean May Originals! Let me start things off by giving you a little background information about me.
I'm a widowed mom of 2 boys, 1 girl, 1 dog, 2 cats & 3 goldfish residing in Chicago's south suburbs. Legal assistant by day (for now, anyway!) and indie jewelry/crochet designer by night. I've been designing for about five years now and have really grown creatively in that time. I started out making simple bracelets for myself, but when ladies started buying them right off my wrist I decided to turn my fun little hobby into a business. Soon necklaces and earrings were added to the mix, custom orders came rolling in, and Jean May Originals was born.
About two years into the business I decided I wanted to give customers more variety, and that's when the crocheting began. Again, I started with very simple pieces such as wrist cuffs and basic belts. Customers started asking for more specific items, such as beaded belts, beaded caps, and certain poncho styles. From that point on, whenever I'd pick up a hook and some yarn, I'd just let my creativity fly. Now you never know what JMO will come up with next. An up-and-coming trend seems to be combining yarn and strips of fabric crocheted together, so be on the lookout for my first design using these two mediums. Currently on my crochet hooks are a few custom orders--baby blankets, mittens, and hats--so I've been happily crocheting like a madwoman the last few weeks and wouldn't have it any other way! One of these days I'm going to try my hand at crocheted jewelry....how cool that will be to combine my two loves!
So that's me, at the moment, in a nutshell. My creative world is always evolving, so be sure to visit regularly for all new and informative updates!
Wishing you all the best~~Jean
Photos: Top left, Fall Mosaic Bracelet; Bottom center, Triangle Shawl in Blue Mint. For ordering info, please send inquiry to email@example.com