Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How I Became A Hooker

I interrupt the weekly Wednesday Wishlist series to bring you a special post explaining how I became a hooker.  No, no, not THAT kind of hooker, but the kind that takes a ball of yarn and transforms it into something unique, useful, and beautiful by way of a nifty little tool called a crochet hook.  The idea for this story comes from the wonderfully talented Create Crochet Team on Etsy, of which I am proud to be a member.  Team members were issued the challenge of writing about how they came to learn their craft as a way of keeping up on their blogs (if they have one, that is).   So without further delay, I give you my story...

*-*-*-*-*

“No thanks, Ma, I really don’t want to learn how to do that.” This was the answer I gave my mother when I was just a young girl of about twelve, leaning against her on the living room couch as she sat there crocheting yet another afghan. “Why do you always crochet stuff?” I asked her, to which she replied “It relaxes me. You want me to show you how to do it?” I winced and left the room, leaving her to work on what I considered to be just another useless but colorful object to throw across the neglected chair in the corner of the room that no one ever used.

Image courtesy of knitpicks.com

More than twenty-five years later I decided it was time to take up a hobby, and I chose crochet. While visiting my local craft store, I discovered one of those “Learn-To-Crochet” kits that provide you with everything necessary to get you started. I immediately tore open the kit when I got home, eager to get started on my new hobby. The second I placed that crochet hook in my hand and wrapped that yarn around my fingers I was transported back to that night on the living room couch…..I could almost feel my mother’s presence next to me, gently easing me along. “Not too tight,” I imagined her saying as I desperately tried to finagle the tip of my hook through an extremely tight stitch. “There, that’s better,” she’d say as I finally got the hang of it and my starting chain grew to about three feet in length. As the process became easier, I too realized just how relaxing this newfound hobby of mine can be.


Image courtesy of tkacm.wordpress.com

It wasn’t long before I was comfortable enough to venture beyond the starting chain. I was working row upon row of single crochet and even though my little beginner project was nothing more than a rectangle, I was MAKING something. Completely on my own, completely from scratch…..this little creation was all mine. Three years later I was creating my own designs…..wristlets, hats, scarves, tank tops….and had taken my hobby to the next level. The satisfaction that comes with each completed project is immeasurable. I never considered myself to be the creative type, and such was my reason for rejecting my mother’s generous offer to teach me crochet all those years ago. But I’ve since realized that all it takes is a little determination and patience, and the firm belief that you can do anything you put your mind to, and you’re on your way to creating your own little works of art.


Lady Luxe Twisted Brim Cocoa Brown Cap with Feather Accent
made by me!  This item sold in my Etsy shop, but I can always
crochet up some more. ;-)

It's been about 6 years since I bought that kit at the craft store, and I've been hooked on crocheting ever since (pun totally intended!).  I've even been broadening my yarny horizons, and have taken up Tunisian crochet, knitting, and even a bit of spinning.  Crochet is actually a form of therapy for me.  After a hectic day I love to sit on the couch and lose myself in whatever project I'm working on at the moment...whether it's a new hat design, or scarf, or shawl, or colorful bowl worked up in wool to be felted later.

I love all the fiber arts, but crocheting is my most favorite. In retrospect, I wish I would've let my mom teach me all those years ago.  But I'm crocheting now, and that's all that matters to me.

Wednesday Wishlist will resume June 9, 2010.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it is relaxing...and a feeling of accomplishment when you've completed something, even if it's just a square. Those squares can even be made into something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! We all seem to roll our eyes and say "Oh, Mom" when we are kids, and then think "why on earth didn't I listen," when we are grown up and learning the very thing that mom wanted to teach us! At least I did!!

    ReplyDelete